Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jobbing

It's been a month since graduation and though I'm currently holding a full-time temp position that I am really enjoying, nothing is secure as of yet, so I've been continuing to look. Other than screening the typical job sites like Career Builder, (which I feel at little more than a shot in the dark), I really have been reaching out to my personal and professional networks to see if I could make any progress by establishing connections that way. I've had a few leads so I would definitely recommend that method to any recent grads who are still on the prowl. It's always better to have a mutual contact to use as reference, to introduce you, or to connect you on LinkedIn. I'm interested to know how my fellow Communication graduates are fairing. I've heard from several young professionals that it took 6 months or longer in recent years to find a job, and many of them grew frustrated and took post-grad internships. I'm not opposed to this as I feel it is a great opportunity to grow and learn in the profession you're in, and also enables you to remain in practice and keep an updated portfolio for future interviews.

It's amazing how much you learn once your out of school and no longer juggling classes and homework, a job and student organizations, events and fundraisers; now rather than practicing what I'm studying for a few hours per day while at my internship, I'm doing what I went to school for 40 hours per week and loving every minute of it. I'm studying social media campaigns and university marketing techniques, writing press releases and news articles, managing social media-- all the things I liked to do before but was constrained time-wise because of school. Though I don't know what the future holds and have no idea where I'll be in a year or even in the next few months, I needed a job like this to confirm the fact that I chose the right educational path for me, and to ensure no mater where I'm headed, I will enjoy what I'm doing.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Bri,

    Good post. As a 2010 PR graduate, I was in the job hunt from the end of July to May of this year! It was a tough search, but I also worked hard in college and had very minimal student loans, as I paid for school mostly out of pocket, only needing to get loans my senior year.

    This afforded me the opportunity to really wait for a job I wanted. I let multiple position go by, despite the unemployment numbers and others being in the same position as me, without applying for them. My attitude was that I didn't work hard over four years of college, multiple internships, while managing other jobs and being president of my college's PRSSA chapter to find a job I don't like, regardless of money. I think a lot of recent grads worry too much about making more money than they need right off the bat. The truth is, you will be working for a long time, the money will be there, but you'll have difficulty waking up each morning when you dislike what you do.

    The best possible tool to use during your job search is your network. I'm to this day so thankful for the countless people who sent me leads to jobs throughout my search. Former internship bosses, friends, PRSSA members, PRSA members, etc. were all so helpful.

    How I landed my job was due to my old internship (working inside ODU's university relations department) working directly with my current employer (Central Ohio Technical College) on a duel-enrollment program. My former supervisor heard they needed someone, recommended me and from there on out it was just utilizing the experience and knowledge I knew I had. Now, I work where I want, in the specific industry I wanted to.

    The one good thing of the job search and having to wait for something is a total appreciation for how lucky you are to finally something. I put so much effort in my job to let my bosses know that they made a great decision in hiring me, and that I'm thankful for the opportunity.

    Sure, some days are stressful with never-ending work loads, but once you know the alternative, that perspective is so valuable to have.

    Great post!

    -Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven,

    Thank you so much for your comment-- it's so nice to hear about this time period from someone who has recently experienced it. I see a lot of similarities between your experience and mine. It's inevitably frustrating to reach graduation without a job lined up when you’ve spent four years actively participating in student organizations, holding leadership roles, succeeding in your full course schedule, holding a job, and squeezing internships in between. I know it will pay off, and I know once I do secure a job I’ll look back on this time and realize how short it is compared to the big picture, but the sense of urgency makes it feel like it’s dragging on forever. I’m thankful though that I have been presented with an opportunity in the meantime that keep me in practice and add material to my portfolio.

    I totally agree about networking—I can’t tell you how many tips and leads I’ve obtained from people I’ve been through internships, jobs, and student organizations. That shows even if things may not work out in the desired time window, the things I’ve worked hard for really do pay off. I’m extremely optimistic and am doing my best to be patient and do everything I can to tap into the resources I have available to me. You’re completely right-- I know once I do find a job I will be so thankful for it, and will appreciate it so much more because of this process.

    Thanks again for your insightful comment, and I wish you all the best in your new job.

    Bri

    ReplyDelete